Saturday, November 26, 2011

Why am I doing it?

In the past months, several individuals asked me "why am I doing it?" Why did I leave a good paying job right in the midst of a global economic crises?  Why did I choose to go back to school and incur more student loans? Why did I walk away from financial security when my family was faced with an additional commitment to heal our mom? She got sick without any health insurance.

Why?

I am pursuing my PhD and also work on my commitment to bring genetic counseling to the Philippines simply because I want to LIVE A LIFE BEYOND MY SELF DOUBT.

I have this lingering fear that as biotechnology and genomic diagnostic capabilities continue to advance, these tools can potentially be applied without taking the time to ponder the ethical, social and legal consequences.  It is probable that individuals, sub-populations, ethnic groups are targeted, stigmatized and will face significant challenges to live a life they love.  I cannot let this happen.  Not on my watch.

I see for myself as an individual who educates and set up training programs in genetic counseling in emerging countries.  I do have other personal goals too but I'll focus my share specifically on the topic of genetic counseling. In case you are wondering, genetic counselors are health care professionals who are trained to address the ethical, legal and social implications of being diagnosed and/or making the decision to pursue genetic testing. There are over 30 training program in North America and a handful in other countries.  To know more about training program availability, please check out the National Society of Genetic Counselors website.

AND if you know of another way to expand the ethics literacy in the global sector, than do let me know! You are welcome to peruse the working draft of our website - www.globalhealthgenetics.org - and please freely share your comments and suggestions.

" In the truest sense, freedom cannot be bestowed; it must be achieved. "                                                                                ~ Franklin D. Roosevelt

No comments:

Post a Comment