Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Trujillo and Mancora, Peru



On June 18th we took a day trip visiting Trujillo and Huanchaco. We went to the Chan Chan site and it looks to me like a huge sand castle. This site is presumed to have been built in the 9th century by the Chimos civilization. It is on my to do list to read up when I get back home to Seattle since I have not heard of them but there are certainly a lot of stuff in our world history that I don´t know about :) The Chimos were sea loving (if I understood the history correctly) and in time, they would meet with the Incas.


The Chan Chan is estimated to be 400 years older than the Machu Picchu. After visiting the Chan Chan site, we then took the taxi up to Huanchaco and had lunch. The picture depicts a type of a surf board that Huanchaco is famous for but I wasn´t able to witness any of the locals using it.


We then took another overnight bus from Huanchaco all the way to Mancora. We stayed at their newest Loki hostel and the accomodations are worth it. For about 8 bucks a night, we had hot shower and our bed. There is a pool as well and only a few minutes walk to the beach. I am also showing a picture of an eel (?type) that some people thought was a baby dolphin.
 
Almost everyone would stop and examine this eel (maybe even poke it to wake it up?). I wonder if its still going to be there tomorrow on the beach. We are staying another night here before we take another bus to Tumbes, where we will cross the Peru-Ecuador border tomorrow, June 21st.

We are still trying to figure out the best way to visit the Amazon Rainforest in Ecuador. Before I forget, advance Happy Father´s day to all fathers!





No comments:

Post a Comment